Sunday, March 18, 2001

 

Money Is As...Money - To LTF

     I still haven't checked to see if my mother smiles in her sleep. Maybe I'll remember to do that tomorrrow, although I doubt it.
     Tomorrow I start determining what of her tax paperwork she has managed to lose by putting it away. The year before last it became necessary for me to entirely take over consolidating all this stuff for her CPA. I did great the last two years. This year, because I got so weird and scattered and just plain zoned out, I tossed all the stuff that came through into a large box which Mom, at sometime in the last few weeks during one of the times when I was gone, decided to "do something about" when she got one of her rare urges to "make some sense of this mess", translated as "cleaning house". She's not a housekeeper by nature. Oddly, my father was but that's one of his characteristics I didn't "get" (quoted to indicate more than one meaning). I discovered, today, that she included the pile of mail in the box in my bedroom closet on a shelf. I thought it was safe. Now I know I need to redefine the word "safe". She swears she "didn't throw anything away" but I am having trouble figuring out where she put everything. MA isn't scheduled to come until a week from Tuesday. It'll be close but I think I'll be able to field this one, even if it means getting copies of things. Not being familiar with baseball, I hope that's the right term. If it's not some minor god who oversees these things may take my optimistic desire at its word and grant exactly what I'm asking for. I'm begining to understand that "taking control" means having a system to manage my mother's business that is my-mother-proof. I didn't feel strange about telling her business people not to talk to her, to talk to me until they needed her final approval and to let me monitor the approval, as well. I feel strange, though, about the expansion of the protective devices I need to use against her to nurture her business life. It seems invasive, although I know it's necessary. Oh well. As my mother would say, "Never a dull moment." Come to think of it, I think you said that once, too, a while back, about something else. I'm thinking, now, that dull moments have their perks. It would sure be nice if one came to visit. Soon.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?