Saturday, August 19, 2000

 

Waking Up - To LTF

    I think this time my mother's medical monitoring is working. It's taken about a month and two changes of medication but last night it all seemed to kick in. I visited my rural Chandler friends yesterday while Mom was napping. When I returned she was up, alert, wondering about the people I visited (can she be remembering what I woke her up 3 hours ago to tell her I hoped).
    I brought a bulb (as in flower bulb) catalog home with me hoping against hope that I could get her interested in ordering some and spending this fall (if we ever get back to Prescott) planting them for spring blooms. I didn't think she'd take an interest.
    She grabbed the catalog. Studied it. We discussed the possibilities.
    I think we'll have tulips, hyacinth and alum in our back yard next spring!
    Did you know there is a black tulip? It appears as a deep, deep lavender, just this side of black, in the picture. It's called "Queen of the Night". "That might just be the highlights," Mom suggested. Maybe so, maybe not. Maybe we'll see next year. Our neighbor to the west, the master gardener, will be relieved and thankful that we are finally tending to our yard. Maybe I'll even try tomatoes next spring.
    My sister's visit was therapeutic. She was surprised by and open-hearted with Mom. She was here through the final phase of the experimentation with Mom's medication and diet, learned how to operate the Glucometer with me and sat in on the most intense period of Medicare's Visiting Nurse program. She was very realistic about Mom and me.
    Yes, we're still here in Mesa, but I'm hoping we'll be in Prescott before August 29.
    I wonder what my mother will be like when she wakes up, this morning. It's nice to wonder without dread.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?